kafka-users mailing list archives

From Dave Hamilton <dhamil...@nanigans.com>
Subject Re: Unclaimed partitions
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:19:10 GMT
I’m sorry, I forgot to specify that these processes are in the same consumer group.

Thanks,
Dave

On 4/28/15, 1:15 PM, "Aditya Auradkar" <aauradkar@linkedin.com.INVALID> wrote:

>Hi Dave,
>
>The simple consumer doesn't do any state management across consumer instances. So I'm
not sure how you are assigning partitions in your application code. Did you mean to say that
you are using the high level consumer API?

>Thanks,
>Aditya

the simple consumer API, and each is being assigned two consumer threads. I have noticed when
starting these processes that sometimes some of my processes are not being assigned any partitions,
and no rebalance seems to ever be triggered, leaving some of the partitions unclaimed.

>When I first tried deploying this yesterday, I noticed 8 of the 24 partitions, for 4 of
the consumer processes, went unclaimed. Redeploying shortly later corrected this issue. I
tried deploying again today, and now I see a different set of 4 processes not getting assigned
partitions. The processes otherwise appear to be running normally, they are currently running
in production and we are working to get the consumers quietly running before enabling them
to do any work. I’m not sure if we might be looking at some sort of timing issue.