kafka-users mailing list archives

From Wes Chow <...@chartbeat.com>
Subject reusing node ids
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 19:19:04 GMT

How reusable are node ids? Specifically:

1. Node goes down and loses all data in its local Kafka logs. I bring it
back up, same hostname, same IP, same node id, but with empty logs. Does
it properly sync with the replicas and continue operation?

2. Node goes down and I replace it with a new machine that has a
different IP but same hostname and node id. Does it sync and continue?

3. Node goes down and I replace it with a new machine that has a
different IP and different hostname, but same node id. Does it sync and
continue?

4. Node stays up but changes hostname. It retains the same IP and same
node id. Does it keep running?

5. Node goes down and we rebalance partitions, effectively retiring that
node id. At a much later date, we bring up a new machine. Can we assign
it that old node id? Does that "later date" have anything to do with
retention history, or is it irrelevant?

Thanks,
Wes