kafka-users mailing list archives

From Steve Miller <st...@idrathernotsay.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-14 Tools Standardization
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 07:40:56 GMT
FWIW I like the standardization idea but just making the old switches fail seems like it's
not the best plan.  People wrap this sort of thing for any number of reasons, and breaking
all of their stuff all at once is not going to make them happy.  And it's not like keeping
the old switches working for a while is all that challenging from a technical standpoint.

Even if all this does is break stuff when you finally phase out the old switches, telling
people that will happen and giving them time to adjust will make them a lot less annoyed with
the Kafka community when that happens.  They may still be annoyed, mind you, just not at you.
 (-:

    -Steve