kafka-users mailing list archives

From 4mayank <4may...@gmail.com>
Subject Using different IPs for clients and kafka inter-node communication
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:56:16 GMT
I have a 3-node setup where each kafka/zookeeper node has two network
interfaces - one globally routeable (10.x.x.x) and one internal
(192.168.x.x). I would like the kafka nodes to use the internal interface
to talk to its neighboring brokers (faster and more efficient) and use the
globally routeable 10.x address while connecting to producers and consumers.

Relevant portions of the config files are below:

zookeeper.properties
server.1=192.168.1.201:2888:3888
server.2=192.168.1.202:2888:3888
server.3=192.168.1.203:2888:3888

server.properties
zookeeper.connect=192.168.1.201:2181,192.168.1.202:2181,192.168.1.203:2181

# Hostname of broker. If this is set, it will only bind to this address. If
this is not set, it will bind to all interfaces, and publish one to ZK.
host.name=10.a.b.c

# Hostname the broker will advertise to producers and consumers. If not
set, it uses the
# value for "host.name" if configured.  Otherwise, it will use the value
returned from
# java.net.InetAddress.getCanonicalHostName().
advertised.host.name=10.a.b.c

This setup is using the 10.x.x.x address to talk to the other kafka
brokers. If i were to unset the host.name property how do I know which IP
address it will use and which one will it publish to ZK?
Is there a different way to achieve this?

Thanks.
Mayank.