kafka-users mailing list archives

From Corey Nolet <cjno...@gmail.com>
Subject Horizontal scaling a topic
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 20:20:03 GMT
I have a cluster of 3 nodes and I've created a topic with some number of
partitions and some number of replicas, let's say 10 and 2, respectively.
Later, after I've got my 3 nodes fairly consumed with data in the 10
partitions, I want to add 2 more nodes to the mix to help balance out the
partitions/replicas of my topic across 5 physical nodes instead of just 3.

I was assuming Kafka would just notice the new node and auto-replicate
partitions to it but research is telling me that this probably isn't the
case. Let's say I want no data loss and I want Kafka to spread my 10
partitions across all 5 nodes. How would I do this currently?