kafka-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Armstrong <stephen.armstr...@linqia.com>
Subject Auto-rebalance not triggering in 2.10-0.8.1.1
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 21:47:28 GMT
I'm running 2.10-0.8.1.1, and rebalance will not trigger on it's own. From
http://grokbase.com/t/kafka/users/14bj5ps9hp/partition-auto-rebalance#20141118rf39q8cs4sjh6vzjgdw92e37cw
I think the leader imbalance means: For a single broker, add up all the
partitions it is leading (Y), and count the ones for which it's not the
preferred broker (X). The ratio of X:Y is the one being used.

I have about 10 topics spread between the 3 brokers, each with 4 or 8
partitions. If I restart broker A, wait 5 min, then restart B, leadership
ends up entirely on C (even though A was in ISR when B went down). Nothing
triggers on it's own. Triggering it manually works (with
bin/kafka-preferred-replica-election.sh).

Is there something I should be checking, or is there a downside to just
adding a cron job to trigger replica election once an hour?

Thanks
Steve