kafka-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Nelson <daniel.nel...@vungle.com>
Subject Re: HDD or SSD or EBS for kafka brokers in Amazon EC2
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 20:39:12 GMT
On Jun 2, 2015, at 1:22 PM, Steven Wu <stevenz3wu@gmail.com> wrote:

> can you elaborate what kind of instability you have encountered?
We have seen the nodes become completely non-responsive. Usually they get rebooted automatically
after 10-20 minutes, but occasionally they get stuck for days in a state where they cannot
be rebooted via the Amazon APIs.

> we are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 and haven't encountered any issues so far. in the announcement,
they did mention using Ubuntu 14.04 for better disk throughput. not sure whether 14.04 also
addresses any instability issue you encountered or not.

That’s encouraging, we’ll try on 14.04 and hopefully our issues will go away. I’ll update
the list as soon as we have a chance to test.

--
Daniel Nelson