kafka-users mailing list archives

From Kelvin Fann <Kelvin.F...@centro.net>
Subject Kafka New Producer Async vs Sync
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:48:15 GMT
Hi All,
I am new to Kafka and was reading through the docs and had some trouble understanding the
difference between sync vs async in the new Producer.

According to:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-dev/201401.mbox/%3CCAOeJiJhr8DOhOVX8C7GcqtBQj-0RZmohqz_patNP=QarRjb9UA@mail.gmail.com%3E

The new producer (post 0.8.2) essentially removes the distinction between sync and async producers.
Does that mean the new producer now maintains the reliability of the old sync producer while
achieving similar throughput to the old async producer?

Also, according to the User Guide:
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#theproducer

The new producer is still under beta? I am a bit confused because the previous link suggested
that 0.8.2 would have the full implementation, but is it still under construction.
Also, the config file suggests that the new producer no longer has an attribute difference
between async vs sync, which I am assuming is a result of what the previous link mentioned,
correct?

Also one last thing, a mentor of mine mentioned that the new Producer is also multithreaded
while the original Producer is single threaded, is that correct? If so how does that affect
the throughput and reliability?

Thanks
Kelvin