kafka-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Nelson <daniel.nel...@vungle.com>
Subject Re: HDD or SSD or EBS for kafka brokers in Amazon EC2
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 18:42:01 GMT
> On Jun 2, 2015, at 10:39 AM, Wes Chow <wes@chartbeat.com> wrote:
>

> We have run d2 instances with Kafka. They're currently unstable -- Amazon confirmed a
host issue with d2 instances that gets tickled by a Kafka workload yesterday. Otherwise, it
seems the d2 instance type is ideal as it gets an enormous amount of disk throughput and you'll
likely  be network bottlenecked.

Do you have any workarounds for the d2 issues? We’ve been using them for our Kafkas too,
and ran into the instability. We’re on Ubuntu 12.04 and plan to try on 14.04 with the latest
HWE to see if that helps any.

Thanks!