kafka-users mailing list archives

From Rad Gruchalski <ra...@gruchalski.com>
Subject Re: Using Kafka as a persistent store
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:57:29 GMT
Scott,

This is what I was trying to target in one of my previous responses to Daniel. The one in
which I suggest another compaction setting for kafka.

Kind regards,

Radek Gruchalski

radek@gruchalski.com (mailto:radek@gruchalski.com)
 (mailto:radek@gruchalski.com)
de.linkedin.com/in/radgruchalski/ (http://de.linkedin.com/in/radgruchalski/)

Confidentiality:
This communication is intended for the above-named person and may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.
If it has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show
it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

On Monday, 13 July 2015 at 15:41, Scott Thibault wrote:

> We've tried to use Kafka not as a persistent store, but as a long-term
> archival store. An outstanding issue we've had with that is that the
> broker holds on to an open file handle on every file in the log! The other
> issue we've had is when you create a long-term archival log on shared
> storage, you can't simply access that data from another cluster b/c of meta
> data being stored in zookeeper rather than in the log.
>
> --Scott Thibault
>

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 4:44 AM, Daniel Schierbeck <
> daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com (mailto:daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to document how to configure Kafka to never delete
> > messages in a topic? It took a good while to figure this out, and I see it
> > as an important use case for Kafka.

and