kafka-users mailing list archives

From Elliot West <tea...@gmail.com>
Subject Encoders/Decoders and Serializers/Deserializers
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:39:06 GMT
I'm trying to understand the difference between Encoders/Decoders and
Serializers/Deserializers and when I should be using each. Specifically the
types I'm referring to are:

   - kafka.serializer.Encoder
   - kafka.serializer.Decoder
   - org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.Serializer
   - org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.Deserializer

Some background: I'd like to append a standard set of metadata to messages
to a number of topics in a manner that is agnostic to their encoding. I was
hoping to do this by providing [en|de]coders that inject/extract the
metadata and then delegate to user supplied [en|de]coders to handle the
encoding of the users actual payload.

Thanks - Elliot.