kafka-users mailing list archives

From Su She <suhsheka...@gmail.com>
Subject Trying to access Kafka behind NAT, java.io.BrokenPipe error
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2015 18:09:20 GMT
Hello Everyone,

I am in a tricky situation.

I am running Kafka (downloaded via binary) on a private cloud behind NAT. I
am hoping to send messages to the broker from outside the cloud. Everything
else seems to be working fine, I can send messages from instances within
the private cloud. The instance has a private ip, but no public ip.

So public IP ip addr A:8081 is mapped through PFSense NAT Rules to a
private ip B:80

Here are some of the configurations I have tried:

server.properties:

port =80 //this works fine locally, no other PID is using htis port

advertised.host.name =public IP addrA //causes java.io.BrokenPipe Error,
have also tried the private ip

advertised.port =8081

I am not sure what else I can change in server.properties. Has anyone else
tried to do this? Is this possible? Or does the broker need to be attached
to its own public ip.

Thank you for the help!

-Su