kafka-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Otto <ao...@wikimedia.org>
Subject Re: Controlled Shutdown Tool?
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:50:19 GMT
Thanks!

But how do I initiate a controlled shutdown on a running broker?  Editing server.properties
is not going to cause this to happen.  Don’t I have to tell the broker to shutdown nicely?
 All I really want to do is tell the controller to move leadership to other replicas, so I
can shutdown the broker without clients getting all confused.

> On Jul 27, 2015, at 14:48, Sriharsha Chintalapani <kafka@harsha.io> wrote:
>
> You can set controlled.shutdown.enable to true in kafka’s server.properties  , this
is enabled by default in 0.8.2 on wards

wrote:

>> I’m working on packaging 0.8.2.1 for Wikimedia, and in doing so I’ve noticed
that kafka.admin.ShutdownBroker doesn’t exist anymore. From what I can tell, this has been
intentionally removed in favor of a JMX(?) config “controlled.shutdown.enable”. It is
unclear from the documentation how one is supposed to set this for a running broker. Do I
need a special JMX tool in order to flick this switch? I’d like to add a command to my kafka
bin wrapper script so that I can easily use this when restarting brokers.