kafka-users mailing list archives

From James Cheng <jch...@tivo.com>
Subject Documentation typo for offsets.topic.replication.factor ?
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 01:28:55 GMT
Hi,

My kafka cluster has a __consumer_offsets topic with 50 partitions (the default for offsets.topic.num.partitions)
but with a replication factor of just 1 (the default for offsets.topic.replication.factor
should be 3).

From the docs http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html:

offsets.topic.replication.factor	3	The replication factor for the offset commit topic. A higher
setting (e.g., three or four) is recommended in order to ensure higher availability. If the
offsets topic is created when fewer brokers than the replication factor then the offsets topic
will be created with fewer replicas.

I'm guessing there's a typo there? I'm guessing it should be:

If the offsets topic is created when fewer brokers than the replication factor [are active],
then the offsets topic will be created with fewer replicas.

Or something along those lines?

Thanks,
-James