kafka-users mailing list archives

From JIEFU GONG <jg...@berkeley.edu>
Subject Changing Kafka configs for already running brokers
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 17:26:42 GMT
Hi all,

According to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1229, there is
currently no support and no reason to support dynamic configuration changes
for Kafka servers that are already running. I just wanted to solidify my
understanding of how configs would then be changed, specifically:

If i wanted to change configs on a running cluster (say log retention) but
I do not want unavailability for that cluster at any time, would the right
way of changing the configs be:

1) Alter the config file
2) Bring down the leader broker using a controlled shutdown, letting
replicas handle the load while the leader is down
3) Restart the leader broker with new configs, using preferred leader
assignment to have it resume control

Would I also need to bring down the in sync replicas and reboot them too?
Thanks for the help!

--

Jiefu Gong
University of California, Berkeley | Class of 2017

jgong@berkeley.edu <eliselim@berkeley.edu> | (925) 400-3427