kafka-users mailing list archives

From Richard Lee <rd...@tivo.com>
Subject missing topic error message not useful
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2015 22:33:43 GMT
Hi there-

The error message returned when trying to produce to a nonexistent kafka topic (with auto
topic creation disabled) is non obvious.  It returns an error message of the form:

"org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Failed to update metadata after xx ms"

where xx is a small number, like 50.

This looks like a communication error of some sort, except for the very short timeout.  I
went off into the weeds thinking  that my kafka brokers were down or that there was a network
routing problem or something until I finally figured out that the topic simply was not there.
 Creating the topic made this error go away and things started working.

A more explicit exception like

“org.apache.kafka.common.errors.NoSuchTopic: Unable to find topic ‘missing-topic-name-here’”

would be much more straightforward.

Richard