kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Wagner <joerg.wagn...@1und1.de>
Subject Amount of partitions
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 14:08:22 GMT
Hello!

Regarding the recommended amount of partitions I am a bit confused.
Basically I got the impression that it's better to have lots of
partitions (see information from linkedin etc). On the other hand, a lot
of performance benchmarks floating around show only a few partitions are
being used.

Especially when considering the difference between hdd and ssds and also
the amount thereof, what is the way to go?

In my case, I seem to have the best stability and performance issues
with few partitions *per hdd*, and only one io thread per disk.

What are your experiences and recommendations?

Cheers
Jörg