kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ben Stopford <...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: producer-consumer issues during deployments
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 18:30:00 GMT
Hi Prabhjot

I may have slightly misunderstood your question so apologies if that’s the case. The general
approach to releases is to use a rolling upgrade where you take one machine offline at a time,
restart it, wait for it to come online (you can monitor this via JMX) then move onto the next.
If you’re taking multiple machines offline at the same time you need to be careful about
where the replicas for those machines reside. You can examine these individually for each
topic via kafka-topcis.sh.

Regarding your questions the following points may be of use:

- Only one replica (the leader) will be available for writing at any one time in Kafka. If
you offline machines then Kafka will switch over to use replicas on other machines if they
are available.
- The behaviour of produce requests will depend on the acknowledgment setting the producer
provides, the setting for minimum in sync replicas and how many replicas remain standing after
the failure. There are a few things going on here but they’re explained quite well here
<http://kafka.apache.org/090/documentation.html#design_ha>.
- Consumers consume from the leader also so if the leader for a partition is online then you
will be able to consumer from it. If the leader is on a machine that goes offline then consumption
will pause whilst leadership switches over to a replica.

All the best