kafka-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Flinck <andreas.fli...@digitalroute.com>
Subject What is the benefit of using acks=all and minover e.g. acks=3
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:28:39 GMT
Hi all

The reason why I need to know is that we have seen an issue when using acks=all, forcing us
to quickly find an alternative. I leave the issue out of this post, but will probably come
back to that!

My question is about acks=all and min.insync.replicas property. Since we have found a workaround
for an issue by using acks>1 instead of all (absolutely no clue why at this moment), I
would like to know what benefit you get from e.g. acks=all and min.insync.replicas=3 instead
of using acks=3 in a 5 broker cluster and replication-factor of 4. To my understanding you
would get the exact level of durability and security from using either of those settings.
However, I suspect this is not quite the case from finding hints without proper explanation
that acks=all is preferred.

Regards
Andreas