kafka-users mailing list archives

From Gwen Shapira <g...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: Quick kafka-reassign-partitions.sh script question
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 18:03:48 GMT
Actually, no. You can move partitions online.

The way it works is that:
1. A new replica is created for the partition in the new broker
2. It starts replicating from the leader until it catches up - if you
continue producing at this time, it will take longer to catch up.
3. Once the new replica caught up, the old replica will get deleted.

Hope this clarifies.