kafka-users mailing list archives

From Bhavesh Mistry <mistry.p.bhav...@gmail.com>
Subject Authorization Engine For Kafka Related to KPI-11
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 07:15:46 GMT
HI All,

Have any one used Apache Ranger <http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/> as
Authorization Engine for Kafka Topic creation, consumption (read) and
write operation on a topic.  I am looking at having audit log and
regulating consumption/ write to particular topic (for example, having
production environment access does not mean that anyone can run console
consumer etc on particular topic. Basically, regulate who can read/write to
a topic as first use case).

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Apache+Ranger+0.5+-+User+Guide#ApacheRanger0.5-UserGuide-KAFKA

If you have used Apache Ranger in production, I have following question:
1) Is there any performance impact with Brokers/Producer/Consumer while
using Apache Ranger ?
2) Is Audit log really useful out-of-box ? or let me know what sort of
reports you run on audit logs (e.g pumping Apache Ranger audit log into any
other system for reporting purpose).

Please share your experience using Kafka with any other Authorization
engine if you are not using Apache Ranger (This is based on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-11+-+Authorization+Interface).

Thanks and looking forward to hear back from Apache Kafka Community
members.

Thanks,

Bhavesh