kafka-users mailing list archives

From Rakesh Vidyadharan <rvidyadha...@gracenote.com>
Subject Failed attempt to delete topic
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 22:30:36 GMT
Hello,

We are on an older kafka (0.8.1) version.  While a number of consumers were running, we attempted
to delete a few topics using the kafka-topics.sh file (basically want to remove all messages
in that topic and restart, since our entities went through some incompatible changes).  We
noticed logs saying the topic has been queued for deletion.  After stopping all processes
accessing kafka, we restarted kafka and then our processes.  The old topics do not seem to
have been deleted (I can still see the log directories corresponding to the topics), and none
of the clients are able to either publish or read to the topics that we attempted to delete.
 Attempting to read gives us the following type of error:

Attempting to access an invalid KafkaTopic ( are you operating on a closed KafkaTopic ?)

Attempting to publish gives us a more general type of error:

kafka.common.FailedToSendMessageException: Failed to send messages after 3 tries.
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.handle(DefaultEventHandler.scala:90)
at kafka.producer.Producer.send(Producer.scala:76)

How can be get around this issue and start using the topics that we tried to clean up?  There
may have been better ways to achieve what we wanted, if so please suggest recommendations
as well.

Thanks
Rakesh