kafka-users mailing list archives

From Lohith Samaga M <Lohith.Sam...@mphasis.com>
Subject RE: New consumer API waits indefinitely
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 07:06:02 GMT
Thanks Niko!

I think I missed an org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.SendFailedException exception
at the very beginning (or atleast it is giving an exception today).

Even after using a new install of Kafka, I get the same errors. Strangely, all topics are
re-created in the logs. I cannot find the data directory in my drive.
How can I cleanup and start again?

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincères salutations
M. Lohith Samaga

-----Original Message-----
From: Niko Davor [mailto:nikodavor@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 23.59
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: RE: New consumer API waits indefinitely

M. Lohith Samaga,

Your Java code looks fine.

Usually, if consumer.poll(100); doesn't return, there is probably a basic connection error.
If Kafka can't connect, it will internally go into an infinite loop. To me, that doesn't seem
like a good design, but that's a separate tangent.

Turn SLF4J root logging up to debug and you will probably see the connection error messages.

A second thought is it might be worth trying using Kafka on a small Linux VM. The docs say,
"Windows is not currently a well supported platform though we would be happy to change that.".
Even if you want to use Windows as a server in the long run, at least as a development test
option, I'd want to be able to test with a Linux VM.

FYI, I'm a Kafka newbie, and I've had no problems getting working code samples up and running
with Kafka 0.9.0.1 and the new Producer/Consumer APIs. I've gotten code samples running in
Java, Scala, and Python, and everything works, including cross language tests.

Lastly, as a mailing list question, how do I reply to a question like this if I see the original
question in the web archives but it is not in my mail client? I suspect that this reply will
show up as a different thread which is not what I want.
Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to Mphasis, its associated companies
and/ or its customers and is intended
for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears
that this mail has been forwarded
to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information
in any manner is strictly
prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at mailmaster@mphasis.com and delete
this mail from your records.