kafka-users mailing list archives

From Lawrence Weikum <lwei...@pandora.com>
Subject Default behavior for full broker
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:08:49 GMT
Hello,

I'm curious about the expected or default behavior that might occur if a broker in the system
has filled up.  By that I mean when a broker has used all of its memory and disk space.  Is
the node simply removed from the system until space is cleared?

As I'm thinking through this a little more, if that is the case and the node is removed, some
partitions in the system may be marked as under-replicated and cause a cascading effect where
partitions are re-replicated and cause other nodes to fill up.  Has that ever happened?  Does
Kafka have a contingency plan for such a scenario?

Thank you so much for your insight and all of your hard work!

Lawrence