kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.9.0.1 High CPU usage on broker - Why is the default heart beat interval set too low (3 seconds)?
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:45:21 GMT
Thanks for responding, Liquan. Just so I understand better, where does
the coordinator reside? On the broker side? And the coordinator knows
the heart beat interval configured on each consumer that's connected to
the broker, I am guessing. For the usecase we have, having a higher
value for heart beat works out fine for us.

I haven't yet fully thought of what I'm proposing, but would it be
wise/feasible to introduce an option which disables heart beats
altogether and instead relies on regular consumption/communication
between the consumer and broker as a heart beat? That way, the usual
consumption and offset commits from the consumer can be used as an
inference of whether the consumer is alive or dead. That way, there
won't be a need for regular heart beats being passed by the consumer.
This helps in the case where you have many consumers connected to the
broker and practically idle except for this heart beats being passed
around. One implication of this would be that if a message isn't
produced in the topics that the consumers listen to, for a while, then
there won't be any communication (isn't it?) from the consumer and hence
it might be considered dead and a re-balance triggered. Is that a
bad/worse thing though?

-Jaikiran