kafka-users mailing list archives

From Uber Slacker <cubeslac...@gmail.com>
Subject Kafka Connect concept question
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 15:56:08 GMT
Hi folks. I'm pretty new to Kafka. I have spent a fair amount of time so
far understanding the Kafka system in general and how producers and
consumers work. I'm now trying to get a grasp on how Kafka Connect
compares/contrasts to Producers/Consumers written via the Java API.

When might someone want to write their own Java Producer/Consumer versus
using a connector in Kafka Connect?  How does Kafka Connect use producers
and consumers behind the scenes? Why wouldn't we simply want a
producer/consumer library that contains producers and consumers written to
work with various external systems such as HDFS? Why this new framework?
Thanks for any clarification!