kafka-users mailing list archives

From Greg Hill <greg.h...@RACKSPACE.COM>
Subject Console consumer group id question
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:20:20 GMT
So, I know I can put group.id in the consumer.config file, but I would like to reuse the same
config file for multiple groups in testing.  I *thought* this would work:

kafka-console-consumer.sh --bootstrap-server <servers> --new-consumer --consumer.config
<consumer.properties path> --topic <topic> --property group.id=<group-id>

That doesn't produce an error, but it also ignores the group.id property and generates a group
id, which doesn't have access to the topic I'm testing against.

So, *should* that work?  If not, why not?  Maybe it's just a bug?

Also, why is --bootstrap-server required when I have it set in the config file?  The console
producer has a similar issue that --broker-list is required despite bootstrap.servers being
in the config file.

Thanks in advance.

Greg