kafka-users mailing list archives

From Dana Powers <dana.pow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.8.x consumer group protocol
Date Wed, 04 May 2016 14:25:51 GMT
0.8 clients manage groups by connecting directly to zookeeper and
implementing shared group management code. There are no broker APIs used.

0.9 clients manage groups using new kafka broker APIs. These clients no
longer connect directly to zookeeper. JoinGroupRequest is an 0.9 api.

For an 0.8ish reimplementation, you might take a look at pykafka. There is
also the old Kafka Java code. I'm not aware of great docs, though. FWIW,
there are not many unofficial clients that have implemented group
management for 0.8 (unless they are just wrapping the official library
running on the jvm).

-Dana