kafka-users mailing list archives

From Andy Davidson <A...@SantaCruzIntegration.com>
Subject newbie: trouble configuring topic default retention (i.e. time to live)
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 17:26:05 GMT
Hi

I am new to kafka and need to pick up admin responsibilities for our
brokers.

I am using kafka_2.11-0.10.0.0. I want to set up my broker so that topics
that are created automatically have a SLA of 1 hr. I.E. I want the data to
removed after 1 hr.

I added the following to my server.properties files and restarted the broker
retention.ms=3600000

I wrote some test code that published to a topic Œaedwip3¹. I did not create
the topic in advance. The aedwip3 topic does not have the expected default
values

$ bin/kafka-topics.sh --describe --zookeeper foo.com:2181 --topic aedwip3

Topic:aedwip3 PartitionCount:1 ReplicationFactor:1 Configs:

Topic: aedwip3 Partition: 0 Leader: 0 Replicas: 0 Isr: 0

$

If I use the command line I can explicitly set the TTL value (this topic was
altered when we where still using kafka_2.10-0.8.2.1

kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper foo.com:2181 -alter --topic footest --config
retention.ms=3600000

$ bin/kafka-topics.sh --describe --zookeeper foo.com:2181 --topic footest

Topic:footest PartitionCount:1 ReplicationFactor:1
Configs:retention.ms=3600000

Topic: footest Partition: 0 Leader: 0 Replicas: 0 Isr: 0

$

Any idea what my mistake is?

Thanks in advance

Andy