kafka-users mailing list archives

From Gwen Shapira <g...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: Kafka DNS Caching in AWS
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2016 16:45:17 GMT
Can you define a DNS name that round-robins to multiple IP addresses?
This way ZKClient will cache the name and you can rotate IPs behind
the scenes with no issues?

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Zuber <objectspace@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello –
>
> We are planning to use Kafka as Event Store in a system which is being built using event
sourcing design approach.
> Here is how we deployed the cluster in AWS to verify HA in the cloud (in our POC we only
had 1 topic with 1 partition and 3 replication factor) -
> 1)    3 ZK servers running in different AZs (managed by Auto Scaling Group)
> 2)    3 Kafka brokers EC2 running in different AZs (managed by Auto Scaling Group)
> 3)    Kafka logs are stored in EBS volumes
> 4)    A type addresses are defined for all ZK servers & Kafka brokers in Route53
> EC2 instance registers its IP for corresponding A type address (in Route53) on startup
>
> But due a bug in ZKClient used by Kafka broker which caches ZK IP forever, I don’t
see any other option other than bouncing all brokers.

> One of the Netflix presentation (following links) mentions about the issue as well as
couple of ZK JIRA defects but I haven’t found any concrete solution yet.