kafka-users mailing list archives

From Mathieu Fenniak <mathieu.fenn...@replicon.com>
Subject Kafka Streams on Windows?
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2016 15:14:21 GMT
Hey all,

Is it anyone developing Kafka Streams applications on Windows?

It seems like the RocksDB Java library doesn't include a native JNI library
for Windows, which prevents a Kafka Streams app from running on Windows.  I
was just wondering if others have run into this, and if so, what approach
you took to resolve it.

I'm favouring the idea of running my applications in a Vagrant VM to avoid
the issue.  It makes the Windows development environment a little less
pleasant, but, seems plausible.

Other ideas that occurred to me:

   - RocksDB does support Windows, but, there don't seem to be any binaries
   available or packaged for it or the jni library.  I could probably build
   these myself, but it sounds a little painful.
   - Not developing on Windows.  Works for me, but, won't work as well for
   my colleagues.
   - Is it possible to make Kafka Streams not use any local state storage
   in some kind of development mode?  Not sure...

Thanks,

Mathieu