kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ali Akhtar <ali.rac...@gmail.com>
Subject Topics being automatically deleted?
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 06:16:40 GMT
I've noticed that, on my own machine, if I start a kafka broker, then
create a topic, then I stop that server and restart it, the topic I created
is still kept.

However, on restarts, it looks like the topic is deleted.

Its also possible that the default retention policy of 24 hours causes the
messages to be deleted.

However, even if the messages are deleted, shouldn't the topic itself be
preserved?

What would happen if there are no new messages posted to a topic for a
week, but I still have consumers listening to that topic? If the topic is
deleted, will I need to restart my consumer? This seems like a pain.