kafka-users mailing list archives

From jupiter <jupiter....@gmail.com>
Subject Using topic or partition for large size of consumers (subscribers)?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2016 11:54:02 GMT
Hi,

I can run a producer to send data to a particular partition within a topic
by specifying the topic ID and the partition ID, then a consumer can
receive a particular partition within a topic by subscribing with the topic
ID and partition ID.

If I have n consumers, each subscribes to a topic/partition exclusively,
can I either create n topics with one partition or create one topic with n
partitions? If it can, in both situations, the server will open n log
directories, Both situations require the same open file handlers, both
increase the end to end latency, so which is the better practice to use
large number of topics each has one partition, or to use a single topic
with large number of partitions in terms of resource consumption,
efficiency and scalability in a broker?

Thanks.

- j