kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ali Akhtar <ali.rac...@gmail.com>
Subject How to block tests of Kafka Streams until messages processed?
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 20:37:55 GMT
I'm using Kafka Streams, and I'm attempting to write integration tests for
a stream processor.

The processor listens to a topic, processes incoming messages, and writes
some data to Cassandra tables.

I'm attempting to write a test which produces some test data, and then
checks whether or not the expected data was written to Cassandra.

It looks like this:

- Step 1: Produce data in the test
- Step 2: Kafka stream gets triggered
- Step 3: Test checks whether cassandra got populated

The problem is, Step 3 is occurring before Step 2, and as a result, the
test fails as it doesn't find the data in the table.

I've resolved this by adding a Thread.sleep(2000) call after Step 1, which
ensures that Step 2 gets triggered before Step 3.

However, I'm wondering if there's a more reliable way of blocking the test
until Kafka stream processor gets triggered?

At the moment, I'm using 1 thread for the processor. If I increase that to
2 threads, will that achieve what I want?