kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ali Akhtar <ali.rac...@gmail.com>
Subject Message order different each time stream is replayed?
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:10:16 GMT
While I was connected to console-consumer.sh, I posted a few messages to a
Kafka topic, one message at a time, across a few hours.

I'd post a message, see it arrive in console-consumer, a few mins later I'd
post the next message, and so on.

They all arrived in order.

However, when I now try to view console-consumer.sh --from-beginning, each
time I do so, the messages seem to be shown in a shuffled order.

Also the last 2 messages appear to be missing, although its possible I
didn't see them in the shuffled output (the topic has over 10k messages
total which are all dumped to console when I view).

Is this just due to network lag when viewing console-consumer, or should I
expect my actual consumers to also receive messages out of order each time
they replay a topic?