kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Auel, Tarek" <tarek.a...@sap.com>
Subject Increasing partition count and preserving local order for a key
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2017 08:38:08 GMT
Hi,

I would like to increase the number of a partition in a topic while preserving the local order
within a key. I do know that if I have a simple hashing algorithm, say h(x) = x mod partitionCnt,
the order is not preserved if I increase the number of partitions. My goal is that a consumer
is able to consume messages for a specific key in-order.

I think something like this is not implemented in Kafka, but maybe there are already best
practices patterns or some kind of library that implements this. I'd highly appreciate if
you have some pointers for me.

Cheers
Tarek