kafka-users mailing list archives

From BGCH <igor.velic...@hivehome.com>
Subject Kafka client and ELB (round-robin DNS)
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2017 13:37:21 GMT
Hi all,

briefly about the problem, if bootstrap.servers is a domain name and
that domain name eventually starts pointing to different IP, kafka
client will never try to re-resolve the new IP.

In our project we use java-based Kafka client 0.9. We configure
bootstrap.servers  with the domain name, say kafka.ourvpc.io, which is
managed by ELB (in our case it's just a round-robin DNS).
If we have two Kafka clusters and the first of them is killed after
application is started, the application never reconnects to the second.
Kafka client instantly tries to connect to the first IP despite the fact
that DNS points to another IP.

Is this a know issue?  Are there any workarounds?

Thanks.

--
hivehome.com <http://www.hivehome.com>

Hive | London | Cambridge | Houston | Toronto
The information contained in or attached to this email is confidential and
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to which it is addressed. It
may contain information which is confidential and/or covered by legal
professional or other privilege. The views expressed in this email are not
necessarily the views of Centrica plc, and the company, its directors,
officers or employees make no representation or accept any liability for
their accuracy or completeness unless expressly stated to the contrary.
Hive is the trading name of Centrica Connected Home Limited (company no:
5782908), registered in England and Wales with its registered office at
Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 5GD.