kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ali Nazemian <alinazem...@gmail.com>
Subject Kafka best practice on bare metal hardware
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2017 01:05:07 GMT
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any benchmark or any recommendation for having
physical HW vs virtual for the Kafka Brokers. I am trying to calculate the
HW requirements for a Kafka Cluster with a hard SLA. My questions are as
follows.

- What is the effect of OS disk caching for a Kafka-Broker? How much
on-heap and off-heap memory would be required per node?

- Since Kafka read-write workload is pretty sequential which of the
following spinning disks would be recommended? SATA 7.2k, SAS 10k, SAS 15k?

- Since Kafka is not CPU-intensive, how bad would be to coexist
Kafka-Broker and a CPU-intensive workload like STORM?

Regards,
Ali