kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Ramanan, Buvana (Nokia - US/Murray Hill)" <buvana.rama...@nokia-bell-labs.com>
Subject Does Kafka elect new follower when the original follower is down?
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2017 20:45:14 GMT
Hello,

I have a 6 broker cluster, configured with auto.leader.rebalance.enable=false. The broker
ids are 1 thru 6.

I have about 160 partitions for which I assigned the replicas to be 1,2,3 (1 is the leader).
When broker-2 underwent a controlled shutdown, the 'kafka-topics.sh -describe' command showed
the ISRs for these partitions to be 1,3, which is an expected outcome.

In case broker-2 is never going to come back alive, will Kafka be able to automatically elect
a new follower in the place of broker-2? In other words, just like how a new leader is elected
for a partition when its leader goes down, is there a possibility that a new follower is chosen
from the list of available brokers?

I understand that I can manually specify a new replica set and use kafka-reassign-partition.sh
to execute the reassignment. But I am looking to see if Kafka does any follower assignment
by itself.

Thanks,
Buvana