kafka-users mailing list archives

From Neil Moore <nemo...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Turning on rack awareness
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2017 16:23:03 GMT
I am practicing turning on rack awareness on a test cluster. With a cluster of 3 nodes that
currently does not use rack awareness (broker.rack is not set). During a rolling restart of
the brokers where broker.rack was filled in one by one, on each node I got the error

[2017-06-06 15:41:08,780] ERROR kafka.admin.AdminOperationException: Not all brokers have
rack information. Add --disable-rack-aware in command line to make replica assignment

without rack information.

at kafka.admin.AdminUtils$.getBrokerMetadatas(AdminUtils.scala:395)

at kafka.admin.AdminUtils$.createTopic(AdminUtils.scala:413)

at kafka.admin.TopicCommand$.createTopic(TopicCommand.scala:107)

at kafka.admin.TopicCommand$.main(TopicCommand.scala:60)

at kafka.admin.TopicCommand.main(TopicCommand.scala)

Then Kafka client fail to connect to the brokers.

I do another rolling restart and because now all brokers know their rack it seems that things
sort themselves out.

Wondering if anyone can recommend how I should turn on rack awareness without downtime? Is
that possible?

Thanks,

Neil