kafka-users mailing list archives

From Revin Chalil <rcha...@expedia.com>
Subject performance test using real data - comparing throughput & latency
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2017 00:00:14 GMT
We are testing kafka’s performance with the real prod data and plan to test things like the
below. We would have producers publishing and consumers processing production data on a separate
non-prod kafka cluster.

  *   Impact of number of Partitions per Topic on throughput and latency on Producer &
Consumer
  *   Impact of scaling-up Brokers on throughput and latency
  *   adding more brokers Vs adding more Disk on existing Brokers. How does the network interface
usage differ?
  *   cost of Replication on Throughput and Latency
  *   impact of Broker vm.swappiness = 60 Vs vm.swappiness = 1
  *   partitions on a Broker pointing to single Disk Vs multiple Disks
  *   EXT4 Vs XFS Filesystem on broker
  *   behavior when Broker “num.io<http://num.io/>.threads” is increased from 8
to higher value
  *   behavior when Broker “num.network.threads” is increased from 3  to higher value
  *   behavior when the data segment size is increased from 1 GB (current setting)
  *   producer “acks = 1” Vs “acks = all” (current setting) impact on throughput and
latency
  *   producer sending with Compression enabled (snappy?) Vs sending without Compression
  *   setting producer batch-size (memory based) Vs record-count (current setting) per batch
sent to Kafka
  *   impact of message size throughput
  *   Consumers fetching records from page-cache Vs fetching records from Disk

Ideally, the metrics we would like to compare for each test are (please let know if there
are anything else to be compared)

  *   Producer write Throughput
  *   Producer write Latency (ms)
  *   Consumption Throughput
  *   Consumption Latency (ms)
  *   End-to-end Latency

What would be the right tools to collect and compare the above metrics against different Tests?
I have setup kafka-monitor but couldn’t find how to track the throughput and latency. Kafka-web-console
seems to have some of these available? Kafka-Manager? Burrow? Anything else? Thank you.

Since we are going to use our own producers and consumers, I do not think it makes sense to
use tools like kafka-consumer-perf-test.sh or kafka-producer-perf-test.sh, but please correct
if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Revin