kafka-users mailing list archives

From Elliot Crosby-McCullough <elliot.crosby-mccullo...@freeagent.com>
Subject Idle cluster high CPU usage
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:58:11 GMT
Hello,

We've been trying to debug an issue with our kafka cluster for several days
now and we're close to out of options.

We have 3 kafka brokers associated with 3 zookeeper nodes and 3 registry
nodes, plus a few streams clients and a ruby producer.

Two of the three brokers are pinning a core and have been for days, no
amount of restarting, debugging, or clearing out of data seems to help.

We've got the logs at DEBUG level which shows a constant flow much like
this: https://gist.github.com/elliotcm/e66a1ca838558664bab0c91549acb251

As best as we can tell the brokers are up to date on replication and the
leaders are well-balanced.  The cluster is receiving no traffic; no
messages are being sent in and the consumers/streams are shut down.

>From our profiling of the JVM it looks like the CPU is mostly working in
replication threads and SSL traffic (it's a secured cluster) but that
shouldn't be treated as gospel.

All the best,
Elliot