kafka-users mailing list archives

From Paolo Patierno <ppatie...@live.com>
Subject Fw: Admin Client : no way to create topic with default partitions and replication factor
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:04:31 GMT
Maybe it could of interest for users as well.

Paolo Patierno
Senior Software Engineer (IoT) @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoT
Microsoft Azure Advisor

Twitter : @ppatierno<http://twitter.com/ppatierno>
Linkedin : paolopatierno<http://it.linkedin.com/in/paolopatierno>
Blog : DevExperience<http://paolopatierno.wordpress.com/>

________________________________
From: Paolo Patierno <ppatierno@live.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:40 AM
To: dev@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Admin Client : no way to create topic with default partitions and replication factor

Hi devs,

taking a look at the Admin Client API and the related implementation it seems that :

  *   the CreateTopics request allows you to have "num_partitions" and "replication_factor"
with -1 as value (it means unset) which is used when you specify the "replica_assignment"
instead
  *   the NewTopic available constructor doesn't allow you to use such a feature. Even trying
to pass null as "replicaAssignments" throws an exception because a collection is built there.

I think that it could be useful from an administrative point of view having this possibility
as it already happens when you have auto creation enabled and a topic is created with default
partitions and replicas when a consumer/producer asks for metadata (and the topic doesn't
exist).

Of course this proposal needs a KIP because we are changing the Admin Client API (but not
breaking). Other than a change in the admin client side it will need a change in the broker
as well because the current path (when a create topic request comes) doesn't handle the -1
values for "num_partitions" and "replication_factor", so it needs to set default values in
this case.

What do you think about that ?

Thanks.