kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Matthias J. Sax" <matth...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: Upgrading producers to 1.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 16:42:46 GMT
Upgrading brokers without client was always supported :)

Since 0.10.2, it also works the other way round.

-Matthias

On 11/28/17 7:33 AM, Brian Cottingham wrote:
> On 11/27/17, 8:36 PM, "Matthias J. Sax" <matthias@confluent.io> wrote:
>
>     Not sure were you exactly copied this. However, second paragraph here
>     https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#upgrade_10_2_0 explains:
>
>     > Starting with version 0.10.2, Java clients (producer and consumer) have acquired
the ability to communicate with older brokers. Version 0.10.2 clients can talk to version
0.10.0 or newer brokers. However, if your brokers are older than 0.10.0, you must upgrade
all the brokers in the Kafka cluster before upgrading your clients. Version 0.10.2 brokers
support 0.8.x and newer clients.

>     Ah. I see. You copied from the KIP.
>
>     The "Motivation" sections describes the state _before_ the change :)
>

> I think we may be talking about different goals; if I understand correctly, you’re
discussing upgrading clients without upgrading brokers. I want to do the opposite: upgrade
brokers and leave the clients alone. It sounds like that should work fine, right?