kafka-users mailing list archives

From Brian Cottingham <brian.cotting...@dudesolutions.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading producers to 1.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 16:50:00 GMT
Excellent, thanks very much for the help!

On 11/28/17, 11:43 AM, "Matthias J. Sax" <matthias@confluent.io> wrote:

    Upgrading brokers without client was always supported :)

    Since 0.10.2, it also works the other way round.

    -Matthias

    On 11/28/17 7:33 AM, Brian Cottingham wrote:
    > On 11/27/17, 8:36 PM, "Matthias J. Sax" <matthias@confluent.io> wrote:
    >
    >     Not sure were you exactly copied this. However, second paragraph here
    >     https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#upgrade_10_2_0 explains:
    >
    >     > Starting with version 0.10.2, Java clients (producer and consumer) have
acquired the ability to communicate with older brokers. Version 0.10.2 clients can talk to
version 0.10.0 or newer brokers. However, if your brokers are older than 0.10.0, you must
upgrade all the brokers in the Kafka cluster before upgrading your clients. Version 0.10.2
brokers support 0.8.x and newer clients.

    >     Ah. I see. You copied from the KIP.
    >
    >     The "Motivation" sections describes the state _before_ the change :)
    >

    > I think we may be talking about different goals; if I understand correctly, you’re
discussing upgrading clients without upgrading brokers. I want to do the opposite: upgrade
brokers and leave the clients alone. It sounds like that should work fine, right?