kafka-users mailing list archives

From Brian Cottingham <brian.cotting...@dudesolutions.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading producers to 1.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:33:49 GMT
On 11/27/17, 8:36 PM, "Matthias J. Sax" <matthias@confluent.io> wrote:

    Not sure were you exactly copied this. However, second paragraph here
    https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#upgrade_10_2_0 explains:

    > Starting with version 0.10.2, Java clients (producer and consumer) have acquired
the ability to communicate with older brokers. Version 0.10.2 clients can talk to version
0.10.0 or newer brokers. However, if your brokers are older than 0.10.0, you must upgrade
all the brokers in the Kafka cluster before upgrading your clients. Version 0.10.2 brokers
support 0.8.x and newer clients.

    Ah. I see. You copied from the KIP.

    The "Motivation" sections describes the state _before_ the change :)

I think we may be talking about different goals; if I understand correctly, you’re discussing
upgrading clients without upgrading brokers. I want to do the opposite: upgrade brokers and
leave the clients alone. It sounds like that should work fine, right?