kafka-users mailing list archives

From Saloni Vithalani <salo...@thoughtworks.com>
Subject How many kafka streams app is recommended to run on single machine in production ?
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:23:08 GMT
In our architecture, we are assuming to run three jvm processes on one
machine (approx.) and each jvm machine can host upto 15 kafka-stream apps.

And if I am not wrong each kafka-stream app spawns one java thread. So,
this seems like an awkward architecture to have with around 45 kafka-stream
apps running on a single machine.

So, I have question in three parts

1) Is my understanding correct that each kafka-stream app spawns one java
thread ? Also, each kafka-stream starts a new tcp connection with
kafka-broker ?

2) Is there a way to share one tcp connection for multiple kafka-streams ?

3) Is is difficult(not recommended) to run 45 streams on single machine ?
The answer to this is definitely NO unless there is a real use case in
production.

Regards,
Saloni Vithalani
Developer