kafka-users mailing list archives

From srimugunthan dhandapani <srimugunthan.dhandap...@gmail.com>
Subject offsetsForTimes API performance
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:59:51 GMT
 Hi all,

We use kafka as our store and  every one of our record is associated with a
timeStamp. We pull data from kafka by seeking to a timeStamp offset
everytime and then get the records by polling. We use KafkaConsumer's
offsetsForTimes (
https://kafka.apache.org/0110/javadoc/org/apache/kafka/clients/consumer/KafkaConsumer.html#offsetsForTimes(java.util.Map)

) API to  find offset and seek to a particular time offset.

 We see that using the offsetsForTimes API and the subsequent seek to the
offset takes anything from 17 milliseconds to 500millisec per iteration.

I would like to know if anybody has done any performance testing of the
offsetsForTimes API and what does the performance of the API depend on?
Will the API be slower if there is more data in the kafka?

thanks,
mugunthan