kafka-users mailing list archives

From Matt Farmer <m...@frmr.me>
Subject Re: Best practice for publishing byte messages to Kafka
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:55:36 GMT
We use Thrift and Kryo, and we haven’t done any formal analysis recently. Performance numbers
for those should be easy to find by googling around.

I can say that we push tens of thousands of messages per second at peak and serialization
hasn’t been a cause of production lag in the entire year that I’ve been working on this
application. That’s an imprecise analysis, but I would readily recommend either library
in a case where performance is your only concern. (Though, Avro may prove to be a better choice
than Thrift these days.)