kafka-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Otto <o...@wikimedia.org>
Subject Re: Cross-cluster mirror making
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:59:43 GMT
Hi Husna,

The trouble with cross cluster Kafka use is unpredictable network latency.
If a consumer encounters high latency, it will just lag, but (hopefully)
eventually it will catch up.  If a producer encounters high latency, it
will have to buffer messages locally until those messages are ACKed by the
Kafka cluster.  If the buffer gets too full, it will have to start dropping
messages.

- Andrew Otto